home › RYA First Aid Course
This essential one-day course covers all the usual first aid subjects, but from a boating perspective. It is aimed at anyone who goes afloat, whether on inland waters, rivers, estuaries or on cross channel passages.
In a medical emergency a little first aid knowledge and immediate action can save lives, especially in remote locations.
This one-day course is designed to provide a working knowledge of first aid for people using small craft and to support skippers.
It fulfils the requirements for Professional skippers of small craft working within 60 miles of a safe haven.
This course is run to a syllabus approved by the RYA and is tailored towards the skills necessary when sailing.
• Demonstrate artificial ventilation & chest compression (CPR)
• Demonstrate how to turn a casualty into the recovery position
• Detail the treatment for shock
• Apply direct pressure to a wound and control bleeding
• Demonstrate how to bandage a wound
• Outline treatment for seasickness
• Outline the prevention, recognition and treatment of hypothermia
• Outline the necessary precautions when treating a cold water immersion casualty
• Outline the prevention, recognition and treatment of concussion
• Outline the prevention, recognition and treatment of compression
• Outline the treatment for asthma attacks, burns, diabetic emergencies, epilepsy and heart attacks
• List the precautions needed when handling a spinal injury
• Demonstrate how to immobilise a fracture
• List actions needed to prepare for helicopter evacuation
• Course handbook
Course Duration: 1 Day
Previous Experience Required: None
Ability After Course: Knowledge of basic first aid focused on the marine environment.
Course dates: Courses will be run subject to demand, If you are interested please send a booking enquiry below.
Number of members: 4 – 8
Having a medical condition need not necessarily prevent you from taking a full part in the course but the Club Principal must be aware of any potential problems.
If you are in any doubt about your fitness to take part in a course, speak to us on the clubline prior to your course.
By completing the course booking form you make the following declarations and undertakings:-
I hereby declare that I have recorded below details of any medical condition which may affect my fitness to participate in the course and in particular I have included details where I suffer from asthma/bronchitis, angina or heart condition, fits, fainting or blackouts, severe headaches, diabetes, travel sickness, allergies to medication or other allergies.
I undertake to inform the Metropolitan Police Sailing Club Ltd and the course instructor of any relevant medical condition which may become apparent between now and the start of the course, and of any medication I am taking.
I have included below details of any dietary requirements and any allergies, including allergies to food and medication.